A Novice Beekeeper Married into an Azorian Family. It's an Adventure.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

We have BABIES!

So, I am extremely relieved, as we checked the hive and they are going. I mean, after 9 days they have babies in and honey going. The honey is because they the world around here has been just blazing with pollen and nectar and so they have taken the opportunity to make honey. It was a quick and dirty inspection. I just needed to have confirmation that all was well. First we got the smoker going!
Than I applied the smoke to the bees and waited.
Than we opened it up. The brown thing is the pollen patty. They have made a dent in that.
The girls are keeping to one side. If you look close, you can see they have been building out off the comb. hmm.
One frame of babies!!! YAY BABIES!
This is them building OUT instead of building on the whole frame.
It's really awesome. I rotated the two frames and put a couple of empties in the middle. Im going to research more about how to make them spread into the whole hive, but after 9 days, Im super happy with what we have. There are little curly white brood in there, which means that Queen reigns supreme and is making the next generation. I want to howl my success to the world! Till next time ladies and gents!

1 comment: