A Novice Beekeeper Married into an Azorian Family. It's an Adventure.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Anxieties with a new hive

I have been resisting the urge to babysit my hive since we installed them on Thursday. This is the critical part of the process, and I admit, the last few days they have not been sucking down the syrup and pollen patty as I expected. I spoke with my father, who has been a beekeeper for some time, and he reassured me as we have had some intensely beautiful weather, warm with sunshine....and he reminded me that bee's, as people, prefer the real thing to the fake. So, they have been out getting nectar and pollen when the sun was out. My father in law sent me this photo
The syrup is down due to the rainy day yesterday, and they are buzzing about due to the sun being out and warm. I confess, I am worried that too may were killed during the process of bringing them to their new home, or that the queen said "dueces" and left, but my father assures me that the queen leaving is rare. I did sneak a peek on Monday and they had started drawing comb, so hopefully they are sufficiently fed. Sunday, we will open up, look for the queen and some eggs and than move the comb over so that the will begin to even up the drawing of the comb. Photo's to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment