A Novice Beekeeper Married into an Azorian Family. It's an Adventure.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grease Patties

These are grease patties. They are made one part Crisco, two parts granulated sugar and half part syrup with wintergreen essential oil.

There are a lot of grease patty recipes out there on the interweb, and even my dad has one, but I chose to go with the simple recipe I got from nice gentleman at http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/ in town. He said to mix it until its the consistency of mashed potatoes

I mixed it with my hands, but you don't have to. I than took parchment paper and made them into sandwiches and put them in a plastic ziplock bag. The next day the sun is out, I'm going to put a couple in the hive.

I believe you are suppose to lay them on top of the frames....pretty much forces them to eat it and the wintergreen in it helps keep the mites down.

Ill post more when I have more.

No comments:

Post a Comment